FIVE FIRSTS: Dylan Palazzo of Sea of Trees
NAME: Dylan Palazzo
BAND AFFILIATION: Sea of Trees
INSTRUMENT: Vocals/ Guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first tape I remember buying with my own money was “Sailing the Seas of Cheese” by Primus. Earlier than that, I have a distinct memory of convincing my dad to buy me a Twisted Sister record. This stands out in my mind because I remember my mom being so opposed to the purchase. The cover of the record was a picture of Dee Snider eating a raw turkey leg.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … My family and I didn’t really go to a lot of concerts when I was a kid. It wasn’t until I was in high school that my friends and I started to go out to shows. I remember seeing Fugazi and Jawbox at Roseland in the city, and it was amazing. That was the first time I remember being really blown away by a live show.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … There was an old piano in my parents house that my sister and I both learned to play on. I’m not sure what type of piano it was, but it seemed huge, and the keys were old and stained yellow. When I started to play guitar, it was on a Fender Squire.
4. THE FIRST LIVE PERFORMANCE I GAVE WAS … The first time I played one of my songs live was at an open mic in a coffee shop in Syracuse, NY. I was so nervous to play that I’ve basically blacked the whole experience out of my mind. At that point in my life, there weren’t many things more terrifying than the thought of singing in front of other people.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first band I played in was called Space Wars. It was pretty lame, but we had a ton of fun. It was a mixture of funk/soul originals and Tenacious D covers. I’m not joking. We played two gigs and called it quits.
Dylan Palazzo and his Sea of Trees bandmates will be performing at the second annual Halloween Freak-Out at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany on Saturday (October 31). They will be joined by Beware! The Other Head of Science and Sgt. Dunbar & the Hobo Banned.