FIVE FIRSTS: Gus of Blackcat Elliot
BAND AFFILIATION: Blackcat Elliot
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Kiss’ “Alive II” or Ozzy Osbourne’s “Diary Of Madman.” I don’t remember which one came first, but I do recall buying them at K-Mart for the album cover designs. I was a sucker for rockers with make-up and evil tendencies.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Men At Work at SPAC in the early eighties. I remember asking my brother what that funny cigarette smell was throughout the entire show.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … the guitar. 21 years and counting…
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Coming And Going” (an original of mine). I kind of remember playing this catchy number at a battle of the bands gig at the Albany Jewish Community Center in 1987 that we actually won. I was 16 years old. Marky Balboa (who I perform with in Blackcat Elliot) was in that band as well. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … a band called Purgatory when I was 13 years old, but we never made it out of my drummer’s basement. So, I guess the first “official” band I was in and did get out of a basement was Dionysus. And yes, Marky Balboa was with me for this outfit as well.
Gus and his bandmates in Blackcat Elliot will be rockin’ at Savannah’s in Albany on Friday (December 18), sharing the stage with the Blisterz, the Statues of Liberty and the Velmas.