Five Firsts: Jonathan Russell
NAME: Jonathan Russell
BAND AFFILIATION: Several bands including the Hot Club of the Lower East Side, but this weekend I’ll be playing with the Doc Scanlon Trio in Saratoga
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first album I ever bought was the soundtrack from the new “Star Trek” movie.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … My mom says that the first concert I ever went to was one of hers when I was six weeks old. I don’t remember it. The first one that I remember was a klezmer band playing at a library near me.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … The first instrument I ever played was the violin.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … The first song I ever performed in public was just five notes on an open string when I was three years old, and I didn’t want to go off the stage. My parents plan to show this to any girl I try to date.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first band I ever played with was Ev Dulet and the Dixie Devils. I wanted to form a jazz band called Jonathan’s Jurassic Jammers, but it seems most jazz musicians don’t like to be called dinosaurs.
Fifteen-year-old jazz violinist Jonathan Russell teams up with the Doc Scanlon Trio at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 8pm Friday. Russell and the Doc Scanlon Trio will also perform several times at various locations on Saturday at the Dance Flurry Festival in Saratoga Springs.