Five Firsts: Phil Drum
NAME: Phil Drum
BAND AFFILIATION: Saratoga Acoustic Blues Society, Bluesology and solo
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … This is a bit hard for me to remember cause I’m so old. But probably the first one I owned at least, was one I received in May 1964 as a Confirmation present: Bob Dylan’s “The Times They Are A-Changin'” – and, boy, were they ever! At the time I was … 2 …. nah, 11.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … I hate (but really love) to brag about this one: 11/1965, Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo, NY – Bob Dylan with the Band, including Levon Helm, with special opening guest John Hammond, plus a few folkies in the audience who walked out booing and ringing a cowbell during the electric set.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A Harmony Hawaiian guitar, ca. 1937ish, which I still have and used to play Blind Willie Johnson on my CD, “Old Blues.” (Then again I let a few Gibson electrics get away.)
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Again, I don’t remember exactly – I was in my first band before my voice changed, and I remember singing “I’m Down” and “Long Tall Sally” that first gig.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … We were called the Governors. My next band was called – I’m serious – Nervana (yeah, that’s how we spelled it).
Phil Drum will be playing a solo show from 6-10pm on Friday at Davidson Brothers in Glens Falls. Drum will also team up with the other members of Bluesology from 7-11pm on Saturday under the tent outside of the Inn at Saratoga in Saratoga Springs.