Five Firsts: Ted Hennessy of the Doornails
NAME: Ted Hennessy
BAND AFFILIATION: The Doornails, Shakin Bakers and formerly of Scotty Mac and the Rockin Bonnevilles
INSTRUMENT: Harmonica and vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Yikes! Well, I might as well just get this off of my chest: It was Queen – “A Night at the Opera.” I’ll try to save some face here, and tell you that my first blues record was Sonny Boy Williamson’s “This is My Story.” I picked up a used copy of that gem at World’s Record on Central Ave for three bucks back in ’79-’80.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Doobie Bros. at Siena College ’79? Another face-saving attempt: My first real blues concert was Muddy Waters at the American Theater in Canton, NY in January, 1982. Eddie Shaw and the Wolfpack opened.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A viola – which I traded in at Hermie’s for a lot of harmonicas sometime around 1990.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … A kick ass rendition of “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” with the Elsmere Elementary String Orchestra back in 1973.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Blue Food. Our first real gig was at the Chateau Lounge. We had no real business playing there, but we packed the place with our underage friends. It was a great night.
Ted Hennessy teams up with the rest of the Doornails at 7:30pm on Thursday at the Valatie Community Theatre in Valatie. The concert is a benefit to aid in the restoration of the theater. Whoa Nelly! opens the show, and other special guests are likely to drop in, too. Suggested donation is $5 at the door.
Comments are closed.