Five Firsts: Ryan Kenney of Planet Eater
NAME: Ryan Kenney
BAND AFFILIATION: Planet Eater
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … When I was 11 or 12, I bought “Da Return,” which was Shaquille O’Neal’s second album, on cassette. I had previously received Michael Jackson’s “Bad” and Shaq’s first album for Christmas, and for some reason felt I really needed to sink my teeth into Shaq’s entire catalog.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Unfortunately, I don’t remember any of the band names, but it was a local show some friends of mine took me to at The Chance in my hometown of Poughkeepsie when I was in ninth grade or so. I remember being kind of confused the whole time, and wondering if this is what concerts were really like. I’m pretty sure there was at least one ska band.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Drums!
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I didn’t start seriously playing music until my early/mid-20s, so I don’t have any stories about my crappy high school band covering Weezer or anything. So, I think this will actually segue nicely into the next question…
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Shit Fucking Ass Demons. We were a three-piece noise band that only used equipment that we had found (my one cymbal stand was a broomstick I had duct taped to my bass drum). We were much more concerned with being extremely loud and drunk than with any other aspect of being in a band, and I’m pretty sure that was very apparent to anyone watching/listening. Good times.
Ryan Kenney slips behind the drum kit to fuel Planet Eater at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany at 7pm on Wednesday (October 19). Also on the bill are Hull and headliners the Fucking Wrath. Tix are $5.