Five Firsts: Sloan Tash of Right Coast Soul
NAME: Sloan Tash
BAND AFFILIATION: Right Coast Soul, Vicious Jimmy
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … It depends. I used allowance money to buy a friend of mine the Police’s “Synchronicity” for his birthday, mainly because I wanted to listen to it. But the first album I bought for myself was Styx – “Kilroy Was Here,” I think. I also had a 45 of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” that I bought as well. “Domo Arigato…”
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Ahhh, the one that got away! I had convinced my parents to let me see Van Halen on the 1984 tour with my older sister’s boyfriend Pete. My parents didn’t think I’d get the money together, but I did! Then Pete hurt his back, and my parents seized the opportunity to give my tickets to my older brother. Then Van Halen broke up. Boo!
Two years later, I finally saw my first concert… David Lee Roth on the Eat ‘Em & Smile tour!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … There was always a piano in my house growing up. My brother and sister had been forced to take lessons, so, of course, they never played. So I just had a piano sitting around and played it all the time for as long as I can remember.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … It was something acoustic on a street corner in Tempe, AZ with my friend Hal. Maybe “American Pie”? It was a long, long time ago. Actually, it might have been “Wish You Were Here.” We worked on that song a lot!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … My first actual, official, gig-playing band was called Humungus Fungus in Chico, CA, circa 1996. The bass player quit 15 minutes after the first gig was over. He said he had wanted to quit the week before but didn’t want to bum us out.