Five Firsts: Jared Michael Nickerson of Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber
NAME: Jared Michael Nickerson
BAND AFFILIATION: Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber
INSTRUMENT: Electric Bass
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Are You Experienced” by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Love” by Love and Chuck Berry & the Steve Miller Band’s “Live at the Fillmore Auditorium” – all at the same time.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … James Brown at Memorial Hall in Dayton, Ohio in 1967.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … owned a Harmony guitar – played piano. (My mother was firm that I start with piano before moving to any other instrument.)
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Sweet Inspiration” by the Sweet Inspirations at a high school talent show in Dayton, Ohio
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … was the high school talent show band whose name I can’t remember at this time as that was back in 1969. But I do remember we were a full-on revue with a five-piece band, a JB-styled singer and a female and male vocal ensemble. We won first prize. Very exciting!
Bassist Jared Michael Nickerson and the other members of Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber roar into the GE Theatre at Proctors in Schenectady to kick of the second season of the Party Horns NYC concert series at 7:30pm on Saturday (January 28). Expect a night of pan-ethnic, neo-tribal, slash-and-jam acid-funk. Tix are $15.