Five Firsts: Jim Kaufman of Grainbelt, etc.
NAME: Jim Kaufman
BAND AFFILIATION: Grainbelt, Hot Cousin, Horror Business, Plastic Jesus, Goatstingers
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first vinyl record I bought with my own money was Boston’s self-titled first record for $.25 at a garage sale. The second was Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock N’ Roll” album. Same day, different garage sale.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Well, my parents took us to see New Kids on the Block when we were nine at the Saratoga Raceway. It’s the show where Donnie Wahlberg fell through the stage. My first rock show was Aerosmith at the Knick on Sunday, December 4, 1994. My good friend Andy got sick and couldn’t go, so I took his place with his cousin, her friend and her uncle as a chaperone. Jackyl opened. Awesome.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … My parents bought me a drum set when I was seven. I took private lessons for about a year or two. In fourth grade, I took up saxophone in the school band and played all through my sophomore year of college. Then I switched back to drums.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I’m pretty sure it was “In the Mood” by Glenn Miller in the fourth grade band. I was also in the jazz band and did a tribute to Jim Henson and Miles Davis in the same concert ’cause they had both died that year.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Rhythm. It was an oldies cover band I joined with two kids in high school. I was 12. We recorded a two- or three-song demo when I was 13. Sold millions.
Rhythm master Jim Kaufman and his fellow bandmates in Grainbelt celebrate the release of their new CD, “A Distant Sound,” with a performance and release party at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 8pm on Saturday (March 10).
your biggest fan.
wait.. WHERE DO YOU GET OFF WEARING A YANKEES JERSEY?
YOUR FORMER BIGGEST FAN
He wears it just to piss us off. Consider us pissed off.
Hot Cousin is a great band name.
Way to go Jimmy!
Comments are closed.