Five Firsts: Eddie Angel of Los Straitjackets
NAME: Eddie Angel
BAND AFFILIATION: Los Straitjackets, the Neanderthals, the Planet Rockers, the Martian Denny Orchestra
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Meet The Beatles,” assuming the Chipmunks don’t count.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Rolling Stones at the Palace. The Knickerbockers and the Sundowners opened.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Clarinet. PS: I failed the music aptitude test given in fifth grade, so I had my mother buy a clarinet, and I took private lessons so I could get in the school band. I think my instructor might’ve been Nick Brignola.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Money” or “Hang On Sloopy”
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Kreases, real ’60s garage rock’n’roll. We used to rehearse in the rhythm guitarist’s garage. We used to turn his volume down because he couldn’t play at all, but was in the band anyway because he was part of the gang… and he had a place to rehearse.
Former Nippertown guitarslinger Eddie Angel (now a Nashville resident) dons his Mexican wrestling mask once again to lead Los Straitjackets (with special guest Ritz Carlton) into Club Helsinki in Hudson for a twang-filled double-bill with Eilen Jewell at 9pm on Friday (June 1). Tix are $20 in advance; $22 at the door.