Festival Fever: Dance Flurry Festival in Saratoga Springs This Weekend
Get Happy Feet!
Yes, it’s once again time for the annual Dance Flurry Festival to take over downtown Saratoga Springs for three days of nearly non-stop music, dancing and workshops.
Of course, you don’t have to love dancing in order to enjoy the Dance Flurry. In fact, you can just sit back and listen to a whole bunch of fabulous music without ever kicking up your heels.
Taking place at a wide assortment of venues throughout Saratoga Springs all weekend long, the fest gets underway at 7pm on Friday with music from Quickstep, Jay Ungar & Molly Mason, Tamarack, Batty & the Baby Boomers, the Sweetback Sisters and more.
Saturday’s session is the motherlode with music and dancing starting at 9am and running straight through ’til 1am at 16 different locations around town – workshops, dance instruction, concerts, dance parties, storytelling, kids’ activities and lots, lots more. It starts all over again at 9am on Sunday before things finally wind down at 6pm Sunday.
There are gazillions of great things to do and see and hear at the Dance Flurry Festival. Here are just a few suggestions:
* The Revelers – members of the Red Stick Ramblers and the Pine Leaf Boys – whip up a swamp-soaked batch of Cajun and zydeco tunes, bayou blues and ballads (11:15pm Friday at City Center)
* The fab Brazilian forro fusion band Matuto (4:15pm Saturday at the Parting Glass)
* The mother-and-son duo of Veena and Devesh Chandra play dizzyingly hypnotic Indian music (4:10pm Saturday at the Saratoga Hilton)
* Ramblin Jug Stompers take you back to the 78RPM days with a fun-filled batch of vintage tunes (5:45pm Saturday at the Parting Glass)
* Jay Ungar & Molly Mason play their American roots music – from folk to swing (7:45pm Saturday at Caffe Lena)
* The Folksy Song-Swap Sing-Along featuring Rich Bala, Michael Eck, Betty & the Baby Boomers, Jay Mankita (8:45pm Saturday at the Saratoga Hilton)
* Dan Johnson & the Expert Sidemen play Americana selections from their debut album Sleep On the Way (2:30pm Sunday at the Parting Glass)
* The Stillhouse Rounders play bluegrass and old-timey music (4:10pm Sunday at the Saratoga Hilton)
So you can definitely have a great, great time at the Dance Flurry without ever stepping onto the dance floor. But you’d better bring along your dancin’ shoes because chances are good that the music’s gonna move ya…
ADDITIONAL UPCOMING FESTIVALS FOR 2013:
10×10 Upstreet Arts Festival @ various locations, 2/14-24/13
Snoe.down @ Killington Ski Resort, Killington & Rutland, 3/21-24/13
Move Music Festival @ various locations, Albany, 4/26-27/13
Mountain Jam @ Hunter Mountain, Hunter, 6/6-9/13
A Taste of Country Music Festival @ Hunter Mountain, Hunter, 6/13-15/13
Clearwater’s Great Hudson River Revival @ Croton Point Park, Croton-On-Hudson, 6/15-16/13
Solid Sound Festival @ MASS MoCA, North Adams, 6/21-23/13
Old Songs Festival @ Altamont Fairgrounds, Altamont, 6/21-23/13