Five Firsts: Bow Thayer of Bow Thayer & Perfect Trainwreck
NAME: Bow Thayer
BAND AFFILIATION: Bow Thayer & Perfect Trainwreck
INSTRUMENT: Electric Banjo / guitar/ vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The seven-inch “Saturday Night” by the Bay City Rollers was my first record purchase. The first album was probably Zep 1. I actually shoplifted Kiss Alive 2 before that though and felt terrible for many years… until I saw Gene Simmons’ reality show. I still give away a lot of my music to keep my karma in check.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Grateful Dead at Boston Garden in 1980. My mom drove me and a friend.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A Harmony acoustic guitar. I remember it had a funky metal tail-piece.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “A Hard Day’s Night” at a junior high school assembly.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Black Magic, later re-named Metamorphosis.
Central Vermont singer-songwriter Bow Thayer and his Americana band Perfect Trainwreck are out on the road in support of their new album “Eden.” The tour is slated to make upcoming Nippertown stops at Brown’s Brewing in Troy at 8pm on Thursday (May 9) and also at Club Helsinki in Hudson at 9pm on Saturday, May 25 ($12).