Festival Fever: The Flurry Festival @ Saratoga Springs, 2/14-16/14
Get Happy Feet!
Yes, the annual Flurry Festival takes over downtown Saratoga Springs next month for three days of nearly non-stop music, dancing and workshop sessions.
Of course, you don’t have to love dancing in order to enjoy the Flurry. In fact, you can just sit back and listen to a whole bunch of fabulous music without ever kicking up your heels.
Taking place at a wide assortment of venues throughout Saratoga Springs from Friday-Sunday, February 14-16, the fest is a marathon of music and dancing at 16 different locations around town – workshops, dance instruction, concerts, dance parties, storytelling, kids’ activities and lots, lots more. There is music from all around the globe, from the traditional to the contemporary, from the classic big band swing of Brass-O-Mania! to the ’60s surf sounds of Big Fez & the Surfmatics to the techno-contra fusion of Firecloud.
There are gazillions of great things to do and see and hear at the Flurry Festival. Here are just a few suggestions:
* Sea Shanties & Drinking Songs with Bill Bracken and members of Pickin’ & Singin’ Gatherin’ (7:30pm Friday at the Parting Glass)
* Pete Seeger’s American Favorite Ballads with Lost Radio Rounders (12:30pm Saturday at the Saratoga Hilton’s Travers Room)
* Jay Ungar & Molly Mason in concert (9pm Saturday at Caffe Lena)
* Jamaican Dance Hall, Reggae, Rock Steady & Ska with Robanic (11:15pm Saturday at the Saratoga Hilton’s Melita Ballroom)
* Cajun Dance Party with Jesse Lége & Bayou Brew (12:45pm Sunday at the Saratoga City Center’s Meeting Room 2)
* South African Zulu Jive Band Workshop with Sharon Katz & the Peace Train (2:15pm Sunday at the Saratoga Hilton’s Broadway Room)
So you can definitely have a great, great time at the Flurry Festival without ever stepping onto the dance floor. But you’d better bring along your dancin’ shoes because chances are good that the music’s gonna move ya…