FIVE FIRSTS: Karen Cole of the Dust Bowl Faeries
NAME: Karen Cole
BAND AFFILIATION: The Dust Bowl Faeries
INSTRUMENT: Lap steel guitar / percussion / vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I had a lot of 45s earlier, but the first two albums I remember actually buying were Donovan’s Greatest Hits and The Best of the Bee Gees, the one with the yellow cover.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Beach Boys at the RPI Fieldhouse. I was like 10 years old, and WTRY asked for the fourth caller to win tickets. I loved the Beach Boys, so I called without my mother knowing and won! She ended up taking me.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … The cello. I always loved the sound, but it wasn’t until I was an adult that I actually bought one and took it up.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I sang “These Boots Are Made For Walking” at the fifth grade talent show.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Rock & Roll Widows (AKA: The Widows). Some members of the band shortened it to just the Widows, but that actual name, thought up by my partner, and decided upon by Judy Kash and I one night at dinner, was the Rock & Roll Widows. The band consisted of all women whose spouses/partners also played in bands. Me on cello. Judy Kash on bass, Betsy Soares on drums, Elizabeth Graham on violin and Roxanne Storms on vocals. We played the large outdoor “Kash Bash” party and a Captain Beefheart tribute at Valentine’s.
The Dust Bowl Faeries step into the spotlight at Club Helsinki in Hudson on Saturday night (June 28), celebrating Karen Cole’s birthday. Sharing the stage will be the evocative and elusive Swamp Baby (celebrating guitarist Mike Hotter’s birthday) Two Cats in Suits (the Last Conspirators’ acoustic rock duo spin-off featuring Tim Livingston and Nick Bisanz) and some special guests. There will be special birthday cupcakes, and the trapeze will be in action. Showtime is 8pm, and tickets are $10 in advance; $12 at the door.