Five Firsts: Telisha Williams of Wild Ponies
NAME: Telisha Williams
BAND AFFILIATION: Wild Ponies
INSTRUMENT: Bass and Vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I’m pretty sure it was Bon Jovi’s Slippery When Wet on tape, but around that same time I got the Beatles’ Let It Be, and I’m not positive which came first, and whether or not I spent my money on them both.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Oooofffff. Poison. I don’t want to talk about it.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Piano. I started piano lessons when I was six or seven years old. That’s where I learned music theory. I had an incredible music teacher, Judy Strickland, but never learned to improv. Doug bought my first guitar for me for our first Christmas together. I still have it. Playing that guitar was the first time that I accompanied myself singing.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “You Better Watch Out (The Santa Claus Song)” when I was six years old in front of an audience of about 250 people. I remember the dress I wore, and even some of the choreography to the song.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I don’t think we ever had a name, but Doug and I were in a rock-n-roll cover band in high school. We played all the school dances and birthday parties of friends. Everything from “Moondance” to “Take My Breath Away” to “November Rain.” I’m not kidding…
Telisha Williams teams up with her guitar-playing partner Doug Williams as the Nashville-based Americana duo Wild Ponies make their Nippertown debut at the Steamer No. 10 Theatre in Albany at 8pm Friday (September 5). C.B. Smith opens the show. Tickets are $13 in advance; $15 at the door.
BUT WAIT, we’re giving away a pair of FREE tickets to the show. GO HERE to enter…