Five Firsts: Chuck E. Costa of the Sea the Sea
NAME: Chuck E. Costa
BAND AFFILIATION: THE SEA THE SEA
INSTRUMENT: vocals, electric/acoustic guitars, percussion, piano
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Cyndi Lauper’s True Colors. My mom is from Norway, and we used to spend a few weeks there in the summer visiting family. One year we spent some time on my great grandparents’ super remote and rustic (no plumbing) farm out in the country. My sister and I had a red battery-powered tape player and that album was our only connection to civilization. We wore that tape out completely…
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Phil Collins (at Madison Square Garden!) The stage was a giant carousel, complete with giant horses, fog and pyrotechnics. The highlight of the night was Phil singing while playing the biggest drum kit I had ever seen on “In the Air Tonight.” Good times.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Baritone (it’s a tuba but smaller). Our band teacher in fifth grade asked us on the first day to pick our top three instruments we’d like to play. I picked saxophone, drums and trumpet. I got the baritone…
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Swan, Swan H” (obscure REM song) at the talent show in tenth grade. Terrifying.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … When I was eight years old or so my big sister and I used to sing and play air guitar together and video tape our performances. I think that qualifies as my first band. Though we never played a gig, we were quite good.
Chuck E. Costa joins musical partner Mira Stanley as the Sea the Sea on the no-pepper stage at the Low Beat in Albany on Thursday evening (October 2). Great Mutations open the show in support of their recently released debut album, “Cheap Stuff.”
FIVE FIRSTS: Mira Stanley of the Sea the Sea