FIVE FIRSTS: Eli Smith of the Down Hill Strugglers
NAME: Eli Smith
BAND AFFILIATION: The Down Hill Strugglers
INSTRUMENT: Banjo and Guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Mississippi John Hurt, Live! Great album, changed my life.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Pete Seeger at the Greenwich House in Greenwich Village, right near where I grew up in Manhattan, around 1988. Great show. I remember he brought his own log and ax and actually chopped wood on stage while singing an old work song.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I got an acoustic guitar was when I was seven years old!
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Tough call. Could have easily been a Woody Guthrie song or something like that. CBGB’s used to have a space next door to the main club on Bleecker and the Bowery there where they had “acoustic” music, and I played there in high school.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Jug Free America. We were a first rate jug band, 2001-2005. We all moved out to California together to do the band there, but things didn’t work out…
Winding down their coast-to-coast summer tour – from the Vancouver Folk Festival to the Newport Folk Festival – Eli Smith and his Brooklyn-based old-time string band the Down Hill Strugglers make a stop at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 8pm on Friday (September 11).