FIVE FIRSTS: Mike Montali of Hollis Brown
Photograph by Andrzej Pilarczyk
NAME: Mike Montali
BAND AFFILIATION: Hollis Brown
INSTRUMENT: Vocals, Guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … People buy albums? Mine was probably something real ’90s R&B. Like Jodeci or something.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … AC/DC at Madison Square Garden. No more Jodeci after that!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I had a cheap B.B. King “Lucille” rip-off that I really wish I didn’t sell.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Not sure. I think “Free Falling” by Tom Petty at a seventh grade talent show.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … We called ourselves Silver Rain. Or, no, Silver Reign, we changed the name I remember.
Two years ago, the Queens-based indie roots-rock band Hollis Brown were in the spotlight at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, sharing the big stage with Counting Crows and Citizen Cope, but on Saturday (May 13), you’ll have the opportunity to catch guitarist-vocalist Mike Montali and his bandmates up close and intimate at the Hollow Bar + Kitchen in Albany. Lost Leaders open the show at 9pm. Tickets are now available, priced at $9.77 in advance; $12 at the door.