FIVE FIRSTS: Jeff Mercel
NAME: Jeff Mercel
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS… Kiss’ Destroyer (I was probably 7 years old, my parents were terrified).
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS… The first one I can remember… on a family trip to New Orleans in 1975, I can remember sitting on my father’s shoulders outside of Preservation Hall (it was too crowded to get in). Does that count?
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … THE ACCORDION!!! I started playing at about age six.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … It was probably something like “My Wild Irish Rose” (on accordion), but I can’t be sure.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … In college, I was in a terrible cover band called BAD EXAMPLE. In spite of that, I went on to become a member of Mercury Rev, with whom I made several records and toured internationally, for about 13 years.
Jeff Mercel performs at the release party for his new album “Lunescapes, Volume One” at BSP Kingston at 8pm on Thursday (May 3). Sharing the stage will be Icelandic vocalist Kristín Anna (formerly of múm), performing music from her song cycle, “I Must Be the Devil.” Expect an evening of intimate, adventurous, piano-driven songs, with and without voice. Admission is $10.