Albany Bicycle Coalition expands map for new and seasoned cyclists
Albany Bicycle Coalition has rebranded its BikeAlbanyMap as CapitalNYBikeMap, to present bicycle-friendly routes throughout the Capital Region.
CapitalNYBikeMap.com is a free, web-based bicycle map, first introduced in 2016. During 2019 and 2020, the map has expanded well beyond Albany; it now reaches from Troy to Colonie, Delmar, and most recently to Schenectady. Its low-traffic, low-stress network consists mainly of quiet streets, bike lanes, and multiuse paths. The map can interactively plan a custom route between any two points of your choice. It is especially valuable for novice riders, people new to our area, and occasional riders (e.g., CDPHP BikeShare).
Fifteen major new routes have been added during the past year. A complete list of new routes, plus an annotated map, can be seen at:
- South End Connector, joining Albany County Rail Trail to Mohawk Hudson Bike Hike Trail and Empire State Trail
- South Troy to Lansingburgh via the Uncle Sam Trail
- Mohawk Hudson Bike Hike Trail, Cohoes to Schenectady
- Albany County Rail Trail extended to Voorheesville
- Bike path from Green Island to Peebles Island
- The Crossings Park in Colonie
- Six Mile Waterworks Park and trail to Lions Park in Niskayuna
- Delmar to Five Rivers Environmental Education Center
- Delmar to Henry Hudson Town Park, including Delmar’s local bike routes
- Schenectady’s Alco Heritage Trail on the waterfront, plus connections through downtown for the Mohawk Hudson Bike Hike Trail
Additional informative icons have been added to the map. Clicking an icon brings up details about that specific location.
- Restrooms in public parks and visitor centers, with details about location and ownership.
- Full-service bike shops, with address, phone, and website.
- New warning and wayfinding icons have been added for the new routes.
CapitalNYBikeMap.com incorporates the extensive experience of Albany Bicycle Coalition members aided by the general public. The map is based on the familiar Google Maps platform.