Photo Gallery: Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade @ Palace Theatre, 10/20/2023
Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade performed at Albany’s Palace Theatre last night, complimenting the venue’s old-timey vibe. The evening began intriguingly, with ’40s radio comedy shows setting the pre-show milieu, delightfully harmonizing with the theatre’s vintage atmosphere and the tempting aroma of Palace Theater popcorn.
With his guitar in hand, Sean Lennon charmed the audience with his peculiar banter, a blend of humor and intended anti-humor. “What did the bunny say to the moose?” he quipped. “You may be a moose, but I’m all-bunny (Albany)” aptly captures his quirky stage persona.
The show, which was separated into two sections, included a superb selection of music. The first set featured an enthralling rendition of “Cosmic Highway” and an unexpected but beautiful cover of The Beat’s “Mirror in the Bathroom.” Including “Blood and Rockets” from The Claypool Lennon Delirium was a notable acknowledgment of Lennon’s contribution, flawlessly blending both artists’ talents.
However, the second set truly defined the night—a wonderfully done ode to Pink Floyd’s 1977 release “Animals”. Beginning with “Pigs on the Wing, Part 1” and progressing through legendary tracks such as “Dogs” and “Sheep,” the band caught the essence of Pink Floyd while adding their own spin. Skerik, a bright and animated saxophonist, performed amazing solos that added a new depth of enthusiasm to the old classics.
The concert concluded with a high-energy encore featuring “Thela Hun Ginjeet,” which delighted the audience. The entire performance was more than a concert; it was a synthesis of past and present, held together by ageless music and the brilliance of Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade.
- “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” (Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore song)
- “Cosmic Highway”
- “Up on the Roof”
- “Mirror in the Bathroom” (The Beat cover)
- “David Makalaster”
- “Blood and Rockets: Movement I, Saga of Jack Parsons – Movement II Too the Moon” (The Claypool Lennon Delirium cover)
- “Pigs on the Wing, Part 1” (Pink Floyd cover)
- “Dogs” (Pink Floyd cover)
- “Pigs (Three Different Ones)” (Pink Floyd cover)
- “Sheep” (Pink Floyd cover)
- “Pigs on the Wing, Part 2” (Pink Floyd cover)
- “Precipitation” (Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel cover)
- “One Step Beyond” (Prince Buster cover)
- “Buzzards of Green Hill”
- “D’s Diner”
- “Thela Hun Ginjeet” (King Crimson cover) (With “Shine on You Crazy Diamond” tease)